>>How about the Danish cartoon fiasco? People seem to be having a hard time reconciling events with their value system because it leads to a judgement which they find unpalatable.

This one seems to be blown way out of proportion. Half the people are arguing about right of free speech, which should be preserved, but IMO there is an implied responsibility to avoid being offensive unless there is a REALLY REALLY good reason.

There is no legal problem with publishing those cartoons, but if they are clearly offensive to a significant segment of the population then maybe we should exercise a bit of judgement.

Having said that, publishing offensive cartoons does not give ANYONE the right to burn down buildings in retaliation. I don't have a problem with protests and only have a small problem with filing lawsuits to stop further publication, but that's where it has to end.

I do have a problem with the Danish cleric who padded out the cartoon collection with a few unpublished, but highly offensive cartoons before shopping them around the various Muslim centers. That was pure rabble-rousing and IMO not justified at all. I consider that not much different from "yelling FIRE in a crowded theater".

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8