HomeDad, you are in for a treat. When I got Tivo a couple of years ago, it changed my life. Really. Zapping commercials is quick and easy. The season pass feature means no missed episodes, even if the network moves the airing time. Like Costa Rica? Do a keyword search and within seconds, you have titles, airtimes, and descriptions of all the shows on Costa Rica for the next two weeks. Just push a button and record the ones you want. If you have two lines running to your TV, you can watch one program while recording another. You can even watch a prerecorded program while recording two new ones simultaneously. The picture and sound are flawless - I see no degradation vs live TV. I cannot overstate the convenience and service you will enjoy.

That said, I am sad that Rupert Murdoch decided to abandon Tivo when he bought DirecTV. Word is that he wants to keep everything inhouse to contain costs/keep all profits. Hence, DirecTV DVRs are here. I am in the midst of a new HT install and am upgrading from SD to HD via DirecTV. Have not yet bought the DVRs or the new dish that will be required, but the cables in-house are all there now.

To get my local (Wash DC) channels in HD, the local hi-fi guy said that I will need a 5 LNB dish. I think that otherwise the HD standard is 3 LNB. I have no idea what this lingo means other than only the 5 LNB dish is capable of receiving signals from the desired satellite.

My SD Tivo still works great with DirecTV, but word in the Tivo community is that over the next few years it will probably lose capabilities and need to be replaced with the Murdoch DVR which is less well-reviewed, not as convenient/featured, etc. Sigh.

Still, once you go DVR, you never go back.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.