Hey all:

Wanted to take your pulse on what I should do re: my receiver. I have the following Axioms: EP350, VP150, M60s, and QS8s. I have a Panasonic 50" Plasma. I currently own the Pioneer Elite 72txv. I am still within the window for returning the Pioneer, and am deciding whether I should. I don't have buyer's remorse--I think the receiver sounds real good--I am just trying to decide whether I should test some other receivers. I can always re-buy the Pioneer later if I want. However, I've decided I don't want to unless I can expect some reasonable benefits from other receivers--it will be a chore for me to test other receivers, not something I will enjoy.

So, the question. Do you think there would be a noticeable difference in sound or PQ relative to the receivers listed below? With regard to sound, I ask because I keep reading that the Axiom speakers are "bright" and that the Pioneer receivers tend to be "bright." From what I understand of the term, that is not really an insult, just a description of the sound. I mostly use the system for home theater, but do listen to music at times. With regard to PQ, I love my picture for high definition and DVD, but am not a huge fan for regular channels. (In that regard, if it is relevant, I have my cable box into the receiver via component [digital for sound] and out to the TV via HDMI. Can't use HDMI from the cable box due to compatability problems.) Here are the other receivers I was thinking of testing:

(1) HK AVR-640. Not out yet, but I've been reading about it. People seem excited about its prospects.

(2) Denon 2807. Also not out yet, but again have been reading about it. I've read conflicting reports on whether it will have upscaling.

(3) Yamaha RX-V2600. Seems to have upscaling, but I don't know whether that really will matter. I've heard it only does if the receiver's scaler is better than the TV's, and I have no idea whether that would apply to me or not.

I understand I am asking a question that may be difficult to truly answer, but just curious what you all think--if you were me and viewed this as work would you test the other receivers, and why?

Thanks everybody. You guys are always a great help answering questions.

Last edited by Skimble; 02/24/06 02:49 PM.