I’m running smurf tube and j-boxes for my speaker locations in the lil’ HT room today. Room dimensions are 15.5’ X 12’. Screen to sitting is longitude and will just be a couple couches and my nifty message chair.

Behind the far back couch will be the EQ closet, which is just a converted BR closet, so it doesn’t sit in the floor space dimensions above. Taking that into consideration, the back couch will be about two feet away from the wall for access into the ‘closet’. Clear as mud?

I am using M3’s for the back surrounds and need to know two things. 1) How far apart should they be? 3) I would prefer to mount them horizontally because one will be above the closet opening and it will just fit aesthetically better horizontally. See an issue with mounting them horizontally. Also, can they be mounted close the ceiling or should I try to move them closer to the floor? As is, they will be tucked up pretty close the ceiling because of the closet opening. I could always throw in a stud and make the closet opening narrower if needed.

Next question is the QS-8’s I’m using for side surrounds. I have a window on the exterior wall and will not have enough space above the window to mount it there. I don’t want to hang it from the ceiling either, again for aesthetic reasons. The max distance I can mount it from the back wall is 32” O/C. This will put them right about parallel with the back couch and behind the other couch and chair. Will this pose a problem with 7.1? Do they have to be ahead of the listening position? I’d sure hate to mount it over the window – that would just look tacky. I know someone will suggest removing the window. This is not an option.

The next house will have an actual ‘planned’ HT room. Converting bedrooms into a HT rooms is a downright pain in rear………