My little HT room is getting close to being done. Well, that’s a relative term seeing how it’s taken my four years to get to where I am now…….I’m figuring three months out before I need to mount a projector on the ceiling.

So now I need to put some serious thought into which projector to buy. I thought I had the screen size figured out, but don’t after all. It’ll be somewhere near 7’ wide. The throw distance will be 13’. The max seating distance from the screen will also be 13’. The ceiling height is 8’3”. The room dimensions are 12’ wide by 15’ 6” deep and it will have pretty good light control. I’m going to build/paint my own screen and already have the paint for the newest version of that home brewed ‘missississippi mud’. If it doesn’t work out, I’ll buy some screen material and build one. Pinning down the right size screen would be very helpful right now and any input to that regards will be appreciated from you guys that have already gone through this.

For projectors, I would like one that does a good job up-converting to at least 720p. I do not have HDTV where I live, so up converting is pretty important to me. I have been looking at and reading up on the Pany 900 and the Sanyo Z4. I’m not real sure if either of these actually up convert the signal? The reviews say that the Sanyo has the edge over the 900 for sharpness, but the Z4 does not convert from i to P all that well. – whatever the hell that means. From what I understand, they just convert from interlaced to progressive????

I’ve spent some time at AVS looking through all the crap there. Can’t say I’ve learned anything. Too much BS to wade through.

Every time I set a budget, I blow it, but this time I actually need to stay within budget. That being said, $2500 would be a real push and hurt like hell. $2000 would hurt a little. Somewhere between $1500 and $2000 would ideal, but I’m willing to feel the pain if there’s something out there worth going to $2500.