I'm actually considering doing the same thing. I really have no current need for a full blown HTPC. I'm very happy with my HD Tivo receiver and DVD player. Right now I'm more interested in just a music server which can interface with my TV.

I currently have all my music ripped on a PC in my office running iTunes. This is on the home network along with 2 notebooks and my xbox 360. Right now I either use my Xbox 360 or notebook PC connected to my receiver to play music.

This 360 isn't ideal as the interface is clunky and doesn't work well with my artist and song list. I play mostly with my notebook running Itunes playing files on the PC upstairs.

My current alternative options are either Roku soundbridge or building a bare bones HTPC. Most likely I'd prefer to build a basic HTPC to stream music from the PC the music is on but also allowing me the option to a add storage, dvd player, and a tuner card in the future.

Sorry for the babbling probably doesn't help the original poster but I've been debating this one for a few months now.