Hi Andy, I replied to your post on AVS. Below I copied your question over there, as well as my response. Hope this helps. Randy

"I am setting up my new toys and I am having two "issues" with my subwoofer. The sub is an Axiom Epic 350 self powered subwoofer and the amp is a Yamaha RX-V2600. The sub is being run from a single line out RCA (not speaker level inputs)

Issue 1: The sub seems to keep going in to standby mode. Watching "Fith Element" the light turns amber (standby) and only turns green on the boomiest parts of the movie. Unfortunately there is a delay going from standby to on. I tried raising the sub level on the amp (from -2.5db to 0 db) to increase the "line in", but it didn;t help.

Issue 2: The Yamaha YPAO (Auto setup w/ mic) keeps picking the crossover frequency of 160 hz. This seems WAY to high consider my main speakers are towers capable of decent bass (Axiom Epic M60 ti) They should be good down to 37hz at -3db.

I know the subwoofer interconnect is OK because the Yamaha YPAO setup finds and adjusts the subwoofer just fine.

Am I setting something up wrong? "

Andy, I used to own a 350 before I upgraded to the 500. I have a Denon 2805 and the setup does an ok job for distance (delay) and levels (dB) however, I turn off any room EQ crap, this will make good speakers sound worse. In the case of my m60's it gave me to much midrange, once turned off it was much better.

Anyway, you would be doing yourself a favor to purchase a Radio Shack SPL meter to verify your settings and calibrate you speakers. Also, pick up a setup disk like AVIA or a cheap one I really like is Discwasher Home Theater Setup Silver Edition, it does a great job calibrating your system to 75dB and gives you LFE setup as well.

Here is what I would recommend, first of all turn your 350's crossover knob all the way clockwise to the highest setting (or bypass if you have a newer 350). Since your receiver will be managing the crossover, you want to get the subs crossover out of the way. Next, put the 350's volume (gain) at about 11-12 o'clock position. That worked best for me. Keep our M60's and Q's (if you own them), and center speaker on the SMALL setting in the Yammy setup, and a crossover of 80hz. Also, verify your distance (delay) settings of the receiver. If found the Denon to be a little off. It is normal for the receiver to have the sub delay further than the actual measurement, this is due to the internal circuitry in the sub. For my EP500, I have my sub 3ft further for the DSP circuitry, and another 2-3 ft for the port design. I would say on the 350 to add 3-5 feet for the delay setting.

The green light will go on when a signal is detected, but should not go off/on like you describe. My guess is that either your receiver and/or sub gain was set to low or something like that...On my Denon, with the 350 gain at 11-12 o'clock, my Denon was about -2dB for the sub.

Hope this helps. You could always post on the Axiom forum for advice as well..

Randy

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85