Hi Adam.

I got to thinking a bit more about the tweaker community on the head-fi web site, and it kinda dawned on me that perhaps we're looking at it from two different angles!!

One of the fun things of Grado/Alessandro cans is the modifiabilities of the beasts!

Why just in pads alone there are literally dozens of ways to go. Take Senn 414 ear pads for example! There's normal, dime modded, nickel modded, the ever popular "quarter", and silver-dollar modded, and reversed and sometimes dyed something other than yellow. And they all sound a little different(septin' maybe the dye job!). Then there are three or four types of C-pads with and without adjustable vents. Some are home-made designs that are held on with blu-tac at that. There are flats and bowls and comfies, ...and rat shack,....the list of pads is near endless!!

....I've left my reversed 414s yellow so if I absentmindedly leave them in my chair in partial darkness, I'm not as likely to sit on them!

Changing housings for ones with exotic woods can be interesting if done correctly with the appropriate new drivers installed by someone who knows what they are doing!!

I notice a few folks changing out Grado harnesses, but not nearly as prevelant as with many other brands. And often these changes are more for convenience or looks rather than electronic variabilities.

The screen mods are also probably more for looks than performance, as are a lot of the wood accents. But it's a fun way to tinker around and make something a bit more personal. And hey, if yer gonna screw something up, better a hundred buck set of cans than a $900 pair of speakers!!

Kind of reminds me of my early days of motorcycles:

Other guys would get on their Hondas, add gas and ride. My Triumphs "Demanded" involvement!!

But, when all is said and done....

I think I had more fun!