"I started on a 32-inch Sony HDTV that was about two years old. It had no capability to accept the most current digital hookup technology — HDMI — so I used the analog audio and video cables included with the player."

I stopped reading the LA Times article after this line. The review is amateur-ish. Why would anyone review a state of the art technology with a with the old red, white, and yellow RCA cables? Of course you are not going to know the difference!! It wouldn't surprise me if this guy's next revalation was that the speakers on his TV produced less sound quality than a full range 5.1 system. The only conclusion he comes up with is "screen size matters", which we knew already.

Nonetheless, the potential fact the majority of home theater hobbyist do not have an HDCP complient screen (count me as one, I bought my Panasonic 47" HDTV 2.5 years ago) means that this format could be dead from the start. Not only would we have to spend $1000 on the new player, but then we would have to spend more to replace a TV that is only 3 years old.