Welcome to the forum! Always good to have another distaff forum member. Sonicfox, Amie and, I believe, Gena are our current female members.

In reply to:

have so many questions, it seems the more I research the more I learn and the more questions pop up.

As Chess said, "Welcome to the dreaded life of a blooming audiophile." This hobby proves the old adage "the more I learn, the less I know."

In reply to:

...based on the dimensions of the room, would this reciever [Denon 4306] handle these speakers without having another amp hooked up?

From what I've heard, it will be more than adequate for your room and your system. It's a highly respected brand and model. And, repeating Chess, again, if you want more, you can always add a separate amplifier at a later time.

In reply to:

the receiver sounds good, but the review I heard said it's hard for a newbie. And both hubby and I are new, but we are capable of learning.

We all started out "new,"and we all learned. You will too. You can always seek help here and at other forums. We're always glad to lead someone astray . The worst thing about your choice is that Denon's poorly written (translated?) manuals can drive one to distraction. But hang in there, ask questions, and we'll be happy to help you figure it out.

I'm no help with the "media center" thing either. Apologies. I'm not sure how a media center works but that seems a lot of money to spend for the convenience of being able to call up a movie, particularly in light of the fact that you aren't an everyday movie watcher. My ignorance of how a media center works prompts the question, what is your objection to a good universal player, like the Denon 2910 or 3910? Should you, like me, become interested in high resolution music, SACD and DVD-A (and judging from your comment about the Phantom of the Opera music, I would recommend you give it a try), you'll want a player capable of playing those formats.

In reply to:

today I went to a home that had a theater and they played the phantom of the opera song in there and it nearly brought tears to my eyes because the sound was so intense and amazing!! So i am thinking I could be found down there immersing myself in the music.

What equipment, particularly speakers, are you currently using? Knowing this will give us a good idea if you are going to experience the rejuvenation of your music listening that so many of us have enjoyed. I was approximately a 95% movie watcher/5% music listener when I replaced my 30 year old stereo equipment. Now it's closer to 50/50. And, when I have a well recorded CD (preferably an SACD) of music that I really enjoy, and can turn off the lights, sit back and close my eyes, I sometimes think I have croaked and gone to heaven (which, at my age, is not an unreasonable possibility...............except for the "gone to heaven" part. )

In reply to:

we have a fair bit of money to be spent on this project, but like everyone else, we need the most bang for the buck!

Well, though there are others as well, you've come to one of the best places for "bang for the buck."

In reply to:

i just feel like I have so many questions.

Fire away! Just keep in mind that you'll be receiving a myriad of opinions and you'll have to separate the wheat from the chaff. In the end, only YOU can tell what is best for you. But, as I said, we'll be glad to lead you astray.

Once again, welcome!

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton