In my limited experience, and since my Axioms haven't arived yet I would say that the Mackies are most likely better for sound up close to the speakers. I also know that some of the studio monitors with the active controlls like the Mackies have a time delay built in so that the sound from the woofer and tweeter reach your ears at the same time. I think htat this woiuld be most useful for when you are very close to the speakers, but the M3 doesn't ahve a crossover on the woofer which makes me think that the xover for the tweeter would impose a phase delay which could in theory create the same effect since the time delay for 5 inches is such a short delay.

But I am most likely over thinking this (the curse of being an electronics engineer). But the Mackie monitors might sound better because there is an amp designed specifically for each of the drivers, but then again I have heard rumors that Axiom is going to start making an amp for their speakers.

I will be comparing my M22s with some monitors that a few friends of mine have to see what difference if any there is.

GO OILERS GO!!!!