Quote:

You want speakers that play loud, and you like bass. Let me think a second. Sounds like you really want tower speakers. In that price range I would suggest that you worry about the front speakers first. How about M50s or M60s with the VP 150 and then use whatever you've got in the closet for rear surrounds right now. You can worry about the 7.1 down the road.

That's pretty much what I did and it worked great for me!

I started with M3s for mains and a HTIB center with a pair of Brand "X" speakers for surround. They didn't sound too bad for a while!

I ended up with M50s for mains(they "match" the M3s and now I get "loud" and "bass"!)and I put the M3s in back for direct-radiating surrounds, plus bought another M3 for a new center(it matched the M50s and the M3s!)

I started buying my stuff quite a few years ago and some things have changed.

Fer instance; if I were to start today I would probably look more closely at the M60 for mains. They work much better(well ok, somewhat better)with the current center and surrounds available through Axiom.

I like my M3 as center, but I keep casting a longing eye toward QS8s!(that; and I really want to free up my rear M3s for mains duty in the diningroom system! )

Buy yeah! It can be done quite easily in steps and be a lot of fun as well! And it sure is easy on the budget!!
Rich.