Quote:

I have read that for most given price points, monitors and a sub are better than floorstanders for the same price, and I tend to agree on some counts, but a lot of good subs also cost the same amount I want to spend on towers minus $100.

I don't want to pay more than $400 for the speakers.

I want them to be axiomlike in both their philosophy and their sound, meaning the company prefers to use scientific findings to create a neutral sounding speaker that allows as much of the music as possible to come through untouched at a specific price point.

Based on the above statements, might I suggest you consider the Rocket x-ls speakers, paired with a Rocket x-sub Both are currently out of stock, but will allegedly be back in stock by the middle of next week. The combo would come in just at your price point (plus shipping, and stands if necessary), you'd be getting Dad some brand new nice looking wood veneer speakers, and you'd be dealing with a company that is very Axiom-like when it comes to product quality, pricing, and customer service.

Audioholics x-ls Review

Affordable Audio x-ls & sub Review

Should Dad ever want to expand into 5.1 there is an x-cs center channel in the offing.

There is an x-sls floorstanding model coming as well, but I have no idea of when it might arrive, and it's just a bit out of your budget. (More pics in a variety of finishes)

Much more x product info can be found here.

I think Sean (St.PatGuy) owns an x-sub. You might PM him for his take on it's positives and negatives.

DISCLAIMER: Based on Thasp's criteria, I just thought this might be helpful. If Axiom offered speakers and a sub for $400 this post would not have been made, so cool your jets.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton