Quote:

This Dad has been looking at the Boston Acoustics vr2 or 3 deal at one of the authorized online stores. I am also considering the Axiom m60s. I really got the itch to pull the trigger on the BAs from what I have read about them at AVS. Has anyone heard these? Would they be a suitable alternative to the M60/80 choices?

I tried the VR3's before the M80's, when upgrading from my old Infinity Kappa 8's. Although I never had all three in my place at the same time, I first compared the VR3's to the Kappas, then the M80's to the Kappas.

Although I thought the VR3's sounded better to me than the Def Tech 7002's in the store (I found out there that I much preferred the 'forward' sound), I didn't like them compared to the Kappas. The bass and imaging were better on the VR3's, but overall definition and high end clarity were much better on the Kappas. The VR3's sounded 'midrangy' in comparison. They were returned the next day (Great looking speaker, tho).

The M80's blew me away nearly instantly. I knew they were staying within about 30 seconds of cranking them up. They're balanced, open, forward, dynamic, and the sometimes contraversial term I occasionally use... musical.

Whether the VR3's are a suitable alternative to M80's I suppose would depend somewhat on what you're paying for them (assuming you like their sound). I think I paid around $900 for the VR3's at Best Buy. For me, it was a no brainer to stick with the M80's.

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED