We used to have Dish service, at an older place that I used to live in. It was cool, until the area got hit with thunderstorms, lightning, heavy winds, etc. We would lose service for a while.

Fast foward to today, we have Cablevision (the cable provider in our area) with the HD channels. I think the box costs a extra couple of bucks a month...and there are about 20 or so HD channels. Nothing to write home about, I will tell you that much. Plus, most of the channels that broadcast in HD -- well, let's just say certain ones don't take up the whole TV screen...so I get the black bars on the sides...highly annoying.

As for modem service, I went with verizon FIOS...seems to be a great service so far...though, it's a little false in how much D/L & U/L speeds are truly coming through...but, then again, at least I am no longer tied to cable modems, and routers, etc. etc. It's all wireless, through the house...which is a great thing!

I would say stick with cable, unless you don't get lots of storms, etc. Plus, you get to keep your sports channels...which, believe me, if it's something you watch a lot, you don't want to be without.