Hi,
I've got a HTPC with a sound card & a V2700 that also has a Ethernet port. I currently have 3 connection options:
1) S/PDIF: This is my prefred option (no popping). The HTPC can pass via the S/PDIF connection to the Reciever all the current major audio specs including PCM, DTS, DD in perfect digital quality which are then decoded by the Receiver.
2) Analoge Audio - I "could" use the cheapo audio card to decode the audio streams and output each channel to the Receiver but I would only ever look at this option if my Receiver could no longer decode the digital audio stream from the S/PDIF connection.
3) Ethernet on the Receiver: The limitation is that the receiver has to provide the Interface as well as the decoding. While I "could" user this "feature" I'd would then be limited to what could be decoded (eg MP3/WPA) and would still need my current conneciton over S/PDIF to play DVD's and anything with DD/DTS tracks. For me why bother - I'll push it all over the S/PDIF IF.

4) In the future I'll probably replace my Video card with an HDMI one and route Audio over this as well......

Nathan

HT:M80,VP150,QS8,EP500 Outside:4xM3 Office:AudioBytes, Rumpus: M60,VP150,M22 Portable:2 x Airs