Hello

I agree with 2 points recently made.

VIOP can not be compared to jitter. Its my understanding UDP is a stateless protocol and there is no packet delivery confirmation transmitted back to the originator. damaged packets are rerequested, hence sometimes not arriving in time and utilized out of order. the issue mentioned regarding VOIP could be due to the compression used, or other reasons. Thats not to say that jitter couldnt occur in the dac process of encoding the audio data, but the fidelity is so low, i cant see it mattering. I believe phones lines used to have a tap/load_coil/I_forgot_the_technical_term on them to keep the bandwidth to 3khz, and I am guessing a phone line sounds better than VOIP.

Jitter is not randomly changing bits. What I read agrees with what was posted about how it is related to the timing of the bits, not the data within the bits. I dont have a better understanding of the transmission of digital audio though. I also agree that you cant distribute wav files to test jitter. each individial setup that plays the wav file would be effected by jitter differently. hadnt really thought about the randomness of the same machine playing the same track over and over.

with that all said, I am learning as I go and find this an interesting topic.

Randy

Axiom M80, Ep600, Qs8, VP150, Crown XLI 2500 , DBX Driverack PA2, Focusrite Scarlet 2i4