Thanks for the response shag.

I was having the most trouble with the conversion from 3 or 4 pin to ? for powering the fan. Dan had a great idea, thank you for that Dan!:

Quote:

Alright, so how do you power these things? The amp draw from these fans are about .05 mA (miliamps) when they are running, .2 mA when they are starting up. They run off of 12 Volts. Sometimes the amperage ratings for each fan is listed on the website.

Go buy an AC adapter. This one has 1000mA of capacity, way more than you will ever need.

All you need to do now is get some small guage black/red speaker wire (24 guage or something) and start wiring up your fans. Once they are all wired up, cut off the plug to the AC adapter and split the wires. Test connecting one wire to the red and one to the black to see wich one is positive/negative. You will be able to tell which way the fans are supposed to be blowing by the arrow that is imprinted on the side of them.

I winced at the prices because something like this is very easy to make if you put your head to it.

Sadly Dan I'm not that great at wiring, so all I heard was the wah wah wah wah sound from Charlie Brown's teacher.

Since this post, I have seen all kinds of USB powered stuff. This Thermaltake Mobile Fan II External USB Cooling Fan interests me most since it has a cord/cable capable of powering the fan externally, though I wouldn't need the retractable feature, without having to work that hard at it.

I am thinking about using an 80mm fan to duct cool air in from the rear towards the front of the enclosure / HTPC and a 120mm fan venting out of the upper rear. It would seem to be easier to duct air in rather than having to attach the ducting to the rear of the case for exaust since the case will need to be pulled out from time to time.

Keep em coming!

ShaunB

Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot.