Quote:

I'm buying a HT for the purpose of watching many, many movies. I tend to use my senheisser HD595's for music and only occasionally listen to music on my HT.

The purpose of asking the question is that I thought the SVS was a pretty good step up in quality over the EP350. If this isn't true than I'll go with the EP350 just for the sake of having a matching subwoofer. Of course, I'm also open to the option of getting the EP500...but that's a tough one...

A word of caution when considering mismatching a pair of subs. Make sure that the tuning points of the subs are reasonably close, to me that means 1 hz, 2hz max. If the tuning points are too different it will be more difficult to dial in phase correctly especially at the crossover point where most artifacts tend to occur. The sound from those subs will sound more smeared than what you would hear from each one separately.

Based on the size of the enclosure of the PB12 I'd guestimate its tuning point is around 21-22hz (similar to the Ultra) however the FR curve and size of the EP350 suggests a tuning point around 30hz. I may be off slightly but its bound to be quite a bit higher than the PB12. I wouldn't recommend this mismatch. You would experience better bass with a pair of either the PB12 or the EP350.

If it was my HT I would sell the EP350 and get the EP500 which is a step above both the PB12 and the EP350 in terms of articulation and accurate bass reproduction. Selling the EP350 and buying the EP500 would be cheaper than buying another EP350 or PB12.

John