Thanks for all compliments fellows. I have been dreaming about this theater for years and I really made some serious design progress once I discovered Sketchup last summer. It's highlighted all sorts of fine details that would have cost me either money or quality - and as some of you have pointed out, the placement of the mains may not be ideal yet so I am still fine tuning. The fact that you can get things in exactly to scale is the real benefit to this package, as well as the "turn it around and see how it looks behind" sort of thing.

And now that I am ranting about software packages for HT design I should mention that I also plan to buy and learn ETF5 when I start the build process as I would like to actually measure any treatments and adjustments to them. I don't see a lot of chatter about this program in some of the forums that I have been frequenting, but perhaps it's just my poor skills at using the various search engines. As an engineer, I always subscribe to the policy of "if you can't measure it you can't control it" !

Thanks for the tips on making the room not "too dead". At this point the design has the upper parts of the walls untreated, as well as the screen wall and possibly the back wall. Again, the use of ETF will hopefully assist me with the finer tuning.

I may load up these renders on the avs forum as well and see how bad the "high-enders" over there tear it to pieces. I really appreciate the feedback as it's all part of learning for me.

Cheers,
Lewis

PS - for those that have not heard of it - "Master Handbook of Acoustics" by Everest is a great resource as well - I got a copy at Chapters online and it's really great for the "buff" as opposed to the PhD in acoustics. I learned all sorts fo stuff from this over the last year.