Quote:

First things first, is this your trade? You sound like you have done this mutiple times before...

No, thank God. I've just built a few homes for myself and friends that can talk me into it. I'm a project manager by trade. Oil and gas and power generation mostly, some buildings.

I am concerned with coverage...Will 1 coat of 1" - 1 1/2" splots cover even the low lying areas on the ceiling? I don't understand this question. Just spray until you've got the coverage you want.

I am glad you told me this, I was intending to do only 1 if I was texturing figuring the spray on would cover any deficiency's. No, sorry. Not unless you want to go with that 70s popcorn crap. Get the joints as good as you can or you'll be sorry.

You prime every time on the texture? Even if the surface will be white? Do you use flat or eggshell for the average ceiling in a hallway for example?

Yes, you should prime the texture too. Just like rock, the paint will bleed through if you don't and then you'll be painting numerous coats to even it out. Then in a year or two, you'll have to paint it again. Use primer, always. If you are gong with a dark paint, use a dark primer. I never use flat. It's too damn hard to keep clean. And when you do clean it, it will rub off to some degree. Egg shell is better if you don't want shinny. Otherwise, I use semi-gloss enamel. I like the kitchen and bath stuff the best. It holds up the best.