Halen, all these new technologies (DLP, LCD, LCoS, Plasma, etc.) which are still in their infancy, are experiencing growing pains. They all are having problems of one kind or another. On the other hand, they are also providing a home viewing experience beyond anything ever experienced before.

The problems I refer to are not so much QC problems as they are problems inherent in new technologies. Since the introduction of these new technologies, we've gone from purchasing $300 TVs that last 20 years to purchasing $3000 TVs that last 3 years (that statement is meant as hyperbole, and is not to be taken literally).

When you purchased a CRT TV 15 years ago, the technology had evolved to the point where it was easy to set up, relatively trouble free, and long lasting - pretty much "take it home, plug it in, set it up, and watch it." Well, I remember our first TV purchased in 1951, and trust me, it wasn't that way in the beginning.

As time goes by, these technologies will be improved, probably to the point where, just like our old $300 CRT TVs, they will be "take it home, plug it in, set it up, and watch it."

My point is, if you like the 55A2000 then go ahead and get it. I have a couple of recommendations before you buy however.

1. Know and understand the vendors return policy. Can you return the set, for any reason, within 30 days? If the set has a problem, will the vendor replace it, or will you have to deal with the manufacturer?

2. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of extended warranties. But, these new technologies are expensive to buy, are not trouble free, and are expensive to repair. I wouldn't buy one without an extended warranty.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton