Quote:

Would there be a noticable sonic difference from using an M3 centre with M22 mains do you think? I myself am thinking of getting 2 M3s (one above the screen, one below) and if it doesn't work out, I can always use them upstairs.

I did the opposite for a while to test out the "bookshelf as a centre" thing everyone was talking about on here... M3 mains with an M22 centre. I personally prefer the VP150, YMMV.

You shouldn't be too concerned with timbre matching the centre and mains... in most cases, they're charged with carrying much different parts of the soundtrack - the centre takes the dialog and the mains take bed music and directional effects. Ever wonder why most receivers have an EQ for the centre only? Usually a centre channel won't carry the same driver compliment as the mains, and thus, won't be matched (unless you're looking for THX certification *chokes*). The only time the centre will take up similar program audio as the mains is listening to 2-channel sources via a DSP (DTS Neo6 Music, for instance) and as we've already established here, I'm in the minority in that I listen to music in surround. Most users here listen to CDs and other 2-channel sources in 2-channel/stereo direct mode.

Having said that, the M3s stand up very well alone if you choose to re-source them to another room at some point. I can't speak for the M2s because I've never heard them.

Bren R.