Classical music in reference-quality sound? As usual, there are too many to suggest. But I'd like to say one thing first. When people are talking about "referece-grade" recording, many think about those eye-popping "high-resolution" recordings taken with multiple microphones placed extremely near-field (within a few feet of instruments). However, the majority of truly good classical CDs these days do NOT aim at that type of effects. Rather, they focus on reproducing the sound and ambience that you experience at live concerts in various real-world venues, where you mostly hear far-field sounds. Accordingly, studio recordings are less and less popular these days in classical genres; rather, they go out to concert halls, churches, and European castles for the "location" recordings. The main mics are mostly set far-field, with some assistance from near-field tracks.

And yes, many of the recordings from the "early digital era" do not sound too good. The recording engineers were too "ambitious" and the digital equipment hadn't yet come to age. Recordings made after 1990 or so are usually far better. Especially, in my experience, the Deutsche Grammophon "4D Audio" series and the Teldec label almost never fail in sound quality.

That said, if you would like some of the more "popular" classical pieces in reference-grade sound, one of the first things I have to suggest is Disney's Fantasia 2000 DVD (James Levine/Chicago Symphony Orchestra). Especially, listen to (and watch) Respighi's Pines of Rome, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, and Stravensky's Firebird Suite, definitely in the DTS 5.1 mode. The recording quality is just amazing. Although the soundtrack does not contain any artificial LFEs, a good subwoofer is a must in order to reproduce the smashes of bass drums and timpanis, and attacks of tubas and string bass.

You said you like the Nutcracker suite. Then I would strongly suggest this DVD production of the Nutcracker ballet by George Balanchine/New York City Ballet. Tchaikovski's music is beautiful, recording is excellent, and the movie-like production of the ballet is just fun and engaging. My daughters really love this one. Macaulay Culkin (Home Alone) does an excellent job as the Nutcracker Prince.

Okay, back to CD's -- here are some of my recent purchases of relatively popular pieces, all with impressive recording qualities:

Rodrigo - Concierto de Aranjuez. Sharon Isbin (guitar) / Lawrence Foster / Lausanne Chamber Orchestra. Excellent sound of guitar in front of a small orchestra.

Holst - The Planets. John Eliot Gardiner / Philharmonia Orchestra. Very colorful orchestral sounds.

Beethoven - Symphony No.9. Nikolaus Harnoncourt / The Chamber Orchestra of Europe. The performance and recording are both excellent; with a relatively small orchestra, simulating Beethoven's period.

Renee Fleming. Excerpts from various operas - Pucchini, Massenet, Bizet, Verdi, et al. If you would like some classical vocal. Excellent recording, too.

Last edited by sushi; 08/29/03 02:50 AM.