Quote:

How important to the "Axiom sound" is the sub. For example, if I held on to my Paradigm DR-10, would I notice much of a difference with an Axiom Epic 60 or 80 system without the EP 500?

Your question really has two answers. First, there is no need to worry about voice matching a subwoofer to the speakers. I don't have Axiom speakers but I use an Axiom EP500 subwoofer. Many who own Axiom speakers use another brand of subwoofer.

Second, based on frequency response alone (Paradigm PDR-10 = 27Hz/Axiom Ep-500 = 19 Hz), I suspect you would notice a substantial (sorry, couldn't resist ) difference between the two. But that difference would have little to do with one being a Paradigm and the other an Axiom.

It's not that the Axiom is a "better" sub (i.e, higher quality), For the money, I'm sure the Paradigm is a competent subwoofer. It's just that the Axiom is designed to do more, and will.

Conclusion. If you're happy with your Paradigm, there is no need to change subs simply because it isn't an Axiom. On the other hand, The EP500 is in a completely different class.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton