Hi folks, I have been lurking since my first posts because my house took an extra month to finish up. Thanks to everyone who helped me decide on the choices I went with. Now that I'm up and running, let me first say, SWEET!!!

My setup still needs tweaking but equipement =
- Denon 3806
- M60s, 150, and EP500 front line
- Harmon Kardon Bookshelf surrounds
- Sony Satellites for back surrounds (I may give up on these and go back to 5.1)
- Mid end at best, Panasonic DVD player with optical patch to receiver. Does progressive scan, 5.1 & DTS and the usual CD, CD-r, etc.

Denon Specific Question
--When I play something in Dolby Digital 5.1 (Star Wars III) the receiver defaults to [Dolby Digital EX / +PLIIx] I first confused this as wrong because I associated the PLII acronym with Pro Logic II that I would have thought was for converting stereo sources into simulated 5.1. However, the manual states that this is a correct decoder for 5.1 or DTS sources. I'm OK with that now but can someone elaborate a bit more, I'm curious?

Further, when I play say, War of the Worlds, and choose DTS from the setup menu, I still get [Dolby Digital EX / +PLIIx] . The manual does say this is a valid decoder for DTS but it also lists other modes such as [DTS-ES DSCRT 6.1...], [DTS Surround], [DTS 96/24], [DTS+PLIIx1] and [DTS Neo]. I'm not up on what the variations are. Manual only mentions neo as a music based decoder.

Now I'm not sure if I should be able to, but try as I may, I can't fidget the receiver in any way to have it display a DTS labeled. That is with the exception of the "neo" choice but I lose a lot of the depth for movies in that mode. Not sure I like it for concerts either.

Should I expect to see it automatically switch to a DTS mode and actually display something different or is [Dolby Digital+PLIIx] going to be my decoder for both 5.1 and DTS formats?

Thanks again ! Hopefully someday, I will be able to contribute instead of ask questions.

Andrew

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.