I also just ordered the Avia CD but finding the elusive Radio Shack SPL Meter in Eastern Canada is like finding the Holy Grail. So I started researching other options. There are certainly lots of options but I have a question.

It seems that all similarly priced meters I can find online say that they only function in the Frequency Range: 125Hz to 8KHz. Some don't mention a usable range at all so one must assume the worst.

Avia (I assume) has level setting tones are in that range but if I wanted to get into testing improvements from room design and treatments, do I need one that covers much more of the audible spectrum? Seems so, obvioiusly such limited meters will not help me much with a room's bass management.

If so, am I getting into a several hundred dollar price jump? I can't realy justify that. There are not many other models mentioned in this forum when I search.

Answer is somewhat self obvious but I also wonder how many people get into that type of testing and if you do it, might you be using another model besides Radio Shack that you could share?

Thanks

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.