Due to room layout restrictions, it’s difficult for me to have floorstanding mains (or bookshelves on stands) and a subwoofer at the same time. So, I find myself contrasting two systems: a pair of M60s with no sub vs. a pair of wall mounted W22s (mounted on either side of a wall-mounted plasma) with an EP500. In either case, I will be using a VP150 and a pair QS8s to complete my 5.1 system. Receiver is a middle-of-the-road Yamaha.

Now, I know the answer is obvious for movies – get the W22s with the EP500. However, I care much more about 2 channel music than I do about movie sound, which is why I’m attracted to the M60s. I really want superb sound for my music, and will likely upgrade the electronics over the long term, so I view the speakers as an investment – I like to buy things I think I will keep for a while.

So, my question is, strictly from a music standpoint, will the M60s deliver better SQ than the W22/EP500 combo? I’m not a bass-addict, a point proved by the fact that I’ve been listening to the same pair of TDL bookshelves for the past 15 years. I’d rather have an impeccable mid-range and high end, even if it means giving up some deep bass. Is this the basic tradeoff I’m facing between these two systems?

BYW, the room is 14x16x9, with one wall opening up into a kitchen and/or a vaulted entry way.

TIA,
George