Well, here's half an update. After spending a lot more time on the phone, going through several more people and even starting to get mean, I finally got someone to approve my exchange and refer me to the exchange department. Unfortunately, when I was finally able to get in touch with them this morning, they wanted to offer my the same model I have reconditioned, when I'd been told before that I would probably (of course not definitely) be getting the new model, since they don't make the XBR1s anymore. I told her I didn't want a reconditioned unit. She said, "Well, our file indicates that your warranty has just run out, and Sony's policy is to offer a reconditioned unit."

Holy cow. I kept mentioning to everyone I talked to that I was concerned since my warranty was about to run out, but they assured me that because this was all documented within the warranty period that it wouldn't be an issue. Now they're trying to tell me that it DOES make a difference. Well, their argument is now dead, anyway, since I just got a letter saying my warranty was extended until 7/30/07. One of the guys said he could extend it, but he was also the guy I was getting kind of short with. Instead of biting when he said he could extend my warranty by six months, I asked if there was someone who could help me that day. He referred me, and I didn't really think he would initiate the warranty extension. Apparently he did, so the exchange department can stop trying to lowball me.

The exchange department wanted me to fax them a copy of my sales receipt after I said I didn't want a reconditioned XBR1. I don't know what information they're looking for that will somehow qualify me for a new model when they already have so much in my file already, but I had the place I bought it from fax it over, so tomorrow when I talk to them I should have everything I need.

Wish me luck. I really want this whole thing to be over. At this point, I don't even want a Sony TV, because if I ever have a problem again, I'll be looking forward to this much headache. I'm starting to think that the more you spend with them, the less likely they are to help you. Anyway, hopefully tomorrow I'll have something cool to tell you all, even though I'm sure that whatever they do for me won't be enough to convince me to buy Sony ever again.

The good news for today, however, is that I finally ordered my QS8s and stands, and a foot of the bulk speaker cable in order to get the 5% discount. I'll finally have replaced all of my Polk bookshelves.