Quote:

Quote:

you could pick up an old computer power supply and use that. Most of them of decent size (300w+) put out over 10a on the +12v line.

I save old AT power supplies (since they're a bit easier to repurpose than ATX - no "power good" line to hold to ground)... but I've found that they don't regulate without a fairly substantial load. I use one in my arcade cabinet to run the coin reject lamps and cooling fans, and that's just enough draw for the supply (150W AT) to regulate. If you ever test a PS without a load, you get weird unregulated power - like 5v - 48v swings on the 12V side and 2v - 20-ish volt swings on the 5V side.

That was another idea I was thinking of... just worried that if the head unit isn't on before the PS (and how could it be?) that the PS would chuck some wonky, unregulated voltage at it. Of course, if voltage sensitive computer equipment isn't affected... a less finicky $60 head unit shouldn't be, either.

Bren R.

Perhaps thats something to do with the specific supply's regulation. I have 5 or 6 old ATX supplys and none of them have ever measured more than a volt off the proper voltage with no load. Thats the whole point of having a regulated PS!