Here is some email exchanges a friend sent me. Can anybody provide some input. I told him it may be a poorly recorded cd's, but he claims they don't sound bad in the car...

Randy,

I own a 12 year old Technics component stereo system consisting of a receiver, dual cassette deck, 5 disk cd player and two speakers. The original sytem cost about $800 12 years ago.

Recently when playing new cd's I've noticed the sound is distorted. I recently purchased two new Paradigm speakers thinking the speakers were worn out. This did not help the problem. Older cd's typically jazz r & b sound just fine. But a new cd by Natalie Cole, "Leavin'" sounds terrible. Same thing for a new "Snow Patrol" cd.

I've taken the receiver to Audio Labs and they say it's fine. I've not replaced the speaker wires. But the folks at audio labs didn't think that's would be the problem.

Any idea on what may be wrong? I'm stumped! Thanks in advance.

Randy,

Thanks for the phone call! I typically listen to jazz (ella fitzgerald, billie holiday, diana krall, natalie cole, etc.) and r & b. The old stuff I've got sounds great. Some of the newer cds' I've purchased sounds terrible. Perhaps it is just poor recording quality? But I can put those cd's in my car (2006 Honda Accord) and they sound better! My Paradigm speakers were only $250 for the pair and are bookcase size. Perhaps that's part of my problem? However I also wonder if a 12 year old Technics receiver might be part of the problem? I hate to pour much money into this old system. Nor am I satisisfied with the sound quality. Would I be better off to start over?

My townhouse main level is only about 550 sq ft. I don't need a lot of sound to fill it up. When a $150 Sony bookshelf sounds great by comparison…I know something is wrong!

Thanks for any advice in advance. I really enjoy listening to music and want it to sound good!

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85