Just thought I'd bring up more OT conversation just for the sake of discussion!

The other day, I was in bed late at night with nothing to watch so I settled on an infomercial for the Bose Acoustic Wave System. I actually became very curious about it and thought it would be a nice system for my office.

First of all, part of the commercial was just plain nonsense especially since they are presenting this to a TV audience. If anyone hasn't seen it before, it is presented by Herbie Hancock. To try and convince the audience how "live" and "room-filling" the system sounds, Herbie plays a piece on the piano and then replays a similar rendition through the Bose system that has a mic in front of it. Can you guess what it sounded like? Well it sounded a lot like Herbie's live playing amplified through my 19" tv...quite tinny and not room-filling at all. Imagine that! Well, I suppose if they had mic'd the crappiest portable radio that exists, then I suppose I could distinguish the *real* difference. It that respect, I guess I'll give them a little credit for that worthless demonstration. BTW, if anyone needs to audition any M60's, I'll make a tape for you of mine playing really loud !

OK, has anyone here really heard one of these? I thought while watching the commercial, "yeah, I would fork out a couple hundred dollars for this thing if it sounds as good as they say it does". Then I found out it sells for a little over $1000!

I've read several reviews afterwards with a lot of people defending the unit and it's sound, but mostly bought it for it's portability and size, claiming it to be the best "boombox" out there. I guess if I had money to throw around, I could justify the purchase just for it's portability. But it's hard for me to believe that one couldn't put together a way better sounding stereo system (like nice Axiom speakers with a decent receiver) for that kind of money. Any thoughts on this?

One more thing, inside the unit is a wound up tube of some sort (the Wave Technology) probably used to create the bass. For some reason, I can't help thinking of the Blue Man Group

Alright, I'll stop for now. That's why I don't post much here because I tend to ramble!

Mary

M60s
VP150
QS8s
Marantz SR6003
Samsung LN52B550
Oppo DV-980H
Insignia NS-WBRDVD