After reading your post i could not help but remember a similar occurrence a couple of months ago that i had with a salesman.
After a short listen to some components at a locally renowned store, the salesman had asked me what i was looking to buy. Of course i told him i was considering some components for a future system but just browsing nonetheless.
He asked what i was using now so i proudly told him about my Axiom system and the rather decent components i had to drive them with. Unfortunately his face twisted somewhat blank when i mentioned Axiom which basically made me think he had never heard of them before.
He then promptly asked what cables i was using with my system and started going into a little fable about how changing this cable and that would help out my system in getting to the moon,.....etc.
I made a simple remark about how i don't believe cables would make any difference and then he proceeded to insult me.
Shortly thereafter i had a discussion with his manager who was far more helpful than this salesman. This store is very well known for its business and i was a bit shocked at this shoddy treatment.
The manager agreed that the salesman should have just kept quiet about his personal disagreement with a customer.
It is kind of hard to sell equipment if you argue with the buyers.
The manager had then also asked that i come back to the store on an evening when he was there so he could personally help me setup any items i was interested in auditioning. Needless to say i left the store as a satisfied customer and certainly would do business there again.
Last time i was in the shop, the salesman was no longer in the audio section (but still in the store).

Anyway, as for your Pioneer Elite question, at least one or two people in the forums have as of late, confirmed the solid quality performance of this brand.

Yes, it is a slow day at work today.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."