Quote:

Ctown, your links are not working. I know component is best but I thought DVI-D was better? Yes, right now I'm using component for my denon at 480p and its the best I can get. I know I will need upconverting player such as Oppo to get higher resolution but are you guys saying I can get 1080i through component or use DVI-D? I plan on keeping the Denon since it works great and it can be used as bedroom or secondary player or just cd player, or maybe use it as intro dvd before the movie. But my main question is, which cable is best if you had to chose between component vs dvi-d between my display and upconverting player? Also some Oppos have hdmi and they have hdmi to dvi cable as well. So which is best path to get best pic? By the way, is 1080i better picture than 480p or 540p? If someone can take a pic of each format using same picture/film just to show me the difference that will help.

First, there was no link, just the hilighted part in blue that said component or RGB were the best. HDMI is the same pic quality as component, but more convenient with the audio coupled in it as well.

If I had to choose between component or DVI, I'd choose whatever is less expensive or more convenient to you as you probably will not notice any difference. See the quote in RED I copied from another forum on the topic.

If there is any difference, it is very negligable. In more experiences, the quality of the connectors on the device have a greater impact on the quality, meaning that on some DVD players/HD STBs, etc..., one type of connector may not be designed with as much playback quality as another. This could even be simply a firmware issue.

Either way, I have played with DVI vs. Component on my Moto DCT6200 and I can't see a real difference.

To your last question...is 1080i better than 480P or 540P. In a word YES. My 27" direct view CRT is capable of displaying 540 lines of vertical resolution but is not High Definintion. 1080i is High Definition.

Watch digital Standard Definintion TV on your TV as that is 480P. Then visit a retailer and see if you can find a similar RPTV showing a HD broadcast as most of those are 1080i broadcasts. The difference is night and day.

My friend had a 61" Toshiba CRT that does 540P/1080i and was only watching Standard Def thru it. I found it harsh to watch and the pixels were evident. He then got a HD set top box feeding a 1080i signal into it and now it looks fantastic.