So... when my new house was being designed, the builder asked if I wanted the foundation stepped down for a home theater in the basement. I said "of course not".

The loft (aka "treehouse") was originally going to be a "music room" with piano, stereo & CDs/LPs, a few other instruments, and a couple of big comfy chairs. Maybe a small TV but nothing fancy. Well, the TV became the HT, with 5.1 and sub. After adding a projector and screen, then reserving space for the rear channels (7.1), there was no room for a violin let alone a piano. The piano ended up in the living room, where it makes everything feel cramped.

I ran across a picture I took of the living room right after moving in -- big, spacious and sunny -- and something snapped. The piano is going in the loft. The HT is going in the basement. The basement wasn't laid out for an HT. The basement is not finished. I don't care

So... any experience with dust control in an unfinished basement and potential effect on a Z4 projector ? The instructions are pretty clear, keep the projector far far away from dusty areas.

Walls are insulated and drywalled. Floor is concrete slab, ceiling is joists with plywood subfloor. I'll probably hang some drapes and/or plastic sheets to figure out where I want the walls to go so I can define a relatively small space, but I would rather not have to finish (or even semi-finish) the ceiling and floor until I have a clue what I want the final layout to be.

I'm going to go read through the manual and see if the answer might be as simple as frequent and careful filter cleaning in the projectors. Does anyone know if HEPA filters are any use for hoovering up basement-type dust, or are they designed for real fine stuff and get clogged quickly with larger volumes of dust ? Blower is on Low all the time and the furnace has 4" pleated filter media, but not sure if that does more to remove the dust or blow it around the basement.

Played with basement layout for a while tonight and think I found an arrangement that works -- it's going to be quite a bit smaller than the nice 20x20 loft but lots of non-90 degree angles so shouldn't get too many bass problems. Might work out something like the link below with luck. That guy is my hero.

http://www.videophile.info/Screen/Page_01.htm

I'm wondering if a "cozy" theater might actually work out better. Any thoughts ? I like watching movies in the big open loft but I would sure like a bit of ambient light control as well.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Last edited by bridgman; 03/10/07 06:14 AM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8