Well I’m very happy to report that I just stumbled across one of my “wish it would do” features.

I watched the Covenant BR the other night and couldn’t make but half way through it. The LFE was low. So I’ve been screwing around with channels and the Avia calibration disk today. Well, I accidentally stumbled onto the M-Channel / Multi channel input channel adjust feature!! Way cool! I can set up the channels on ALL the different PCM inputs differently, including the sub.

I suppose I better read that owner’s manual again…..

In case you’re wondering why this is so exciting, well it has to do with HD audio. For some reason or other, Uncompressed Multi-channel PCM data streams are not all the same from the different players. In other words, there is no standard like with regular DVD or TV broadcasts. With DVD/TV there is a standard 10 DB boost on the LFE channel. My PS 3 sorta has this, but it’s not 10 DB’s. It’s closer to 5 DB. My Toshiba HD-X1 is zero. Both of these machines play Bitsream DD and DTS just fine, but who cares? That isn’t HD audio.

For the Toshiba, I am using the 7.1 analogue inputs because the Marantz allows for 7.1 channel adjustments. So I’m good to go with the Toshiba.

For SD dvd, that works just fine as is.

Now finally for my PS3, I can adjust the M-channel PCM inputs.

Before, the LFE was all over the place from these three different players, now they are all equal. Much-mo-better……

One more point for Marantz.

As far as your SACD's, they sound fantastic on the Marantz. With the latest firmware update for my Oppo 970, I couldn't be happier. I can even apply PLIIx to 5.1 stuff.