Quote:

If you get a Ford Escape, watch out for transmission problems. When I owned a Mazda Tribue (same thing) from 03-05, I spent time on various owner forums. There were a lot of complaints related to transmission and brake problems. I have no idea if it's been fixed in later years, so please research it rather than just taking my word for it.

FWIW, I bought a brand new '03 Mazda Tribute (same thing as an Escape) in early 2003, and it was on its third transmission when I traded it in at 24k miles back in '05. The first one was replaced at about 8k miles, and the second one started making noises and was repalced again at about 20k miles. Otherwise, it was a pretty nice vehicle. My only other complaint was the very SUV-like gas mileage that about 14 city / 20 highway mpg (V6, AWD

Sorry to hear you had such a bad experience with your Tribby.

My 01 Escape is still all original and I tow a 2000lb tent trailer with it a few times a year. I would agree that the Trans is the weakest link along with the mileage, these are quite possibly related, as too much slip in the trans would give poor fuel economy and burn out the clutch packs as well. The trans was also designed for the extinct Mystique and Contour which were much lighter and not driven the same way as the Escape would be driven. The motor(3.0L) they use was designed back in the early 80's with only mods to the heads to increase power but the overall efficiency of the 3.0L is very poor compared to the competition, a hybrid would fix that problem.

The brake problems are mostly complaints about brake dust as the rims get coated in it and look bad.

I am presently looking into the Camry, Civic, and Escape Hybrids for my family. The Highlander Hybrid is beyond my means. The Vue hybrid looks to have a cheap interior for the money so it is out of the running as well. The front runner right now is the Camry as the transition from electric to dual motors is seemless but it is a little above the budget.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70