I know there have been posts in the past about buzzing, by both others and myself. I have noticed this problem on Both sets of M80's I Have owned, The first pair were bought in I believe 2001 and I hadnt noticed it until one woofer went bad and buzzed quite loudly, Axiom replaced the woofer and all was fine, Until I moved that pair to our Theater system and was doing testing with the Avia disc usint test tones. I again noticed a buzz from both speakers on some of the frequencies. This time it wasnt just one woofer it was a couple of them. Woofers and midrange.

After searching the boards I dug up some information about a bad batch of drivers that had the leads going from the voice coil to the back of the driver too long, which caused them to touch the cone at certain times. This makes sense. Because that pair of speakers is in the theater, and I rarely notice a buzz on movies... (only once or twice that i can recall) I havent really pursued getting any more drivers or anything.

But as I was doing testing today... can you say torture testing? (see Emotiva shutdown thread) I noticed some buzzing on both my newer 80's from the bass drivers. Not really noticable unless I put my ear near the port on the rear. I cant help but think there is a design flaw with the drivers, and the voice coil leads being too long for the type of duty these drivers are being used for. If indeed it is a case of the leads being too long.

Since we are all aware of the torture testing that goes on at axiom im somewhat surprised that this hasnt been noticed. I dont know if I am just exceeding what these drivers are capable of in terms of Xmax or not. I would think that if they can play for days on end with 2.5 times the power my amplifiers are capable of then they should be able to take whatever i can dish out.

I really hate to point out what I think is a problem with anyones hard work but hopefully it will help for the better. I hope My hope is that other members here can confirm or deny their findings and it would also be helpfull is someone at axiom could do the same just to prove im not the only one who has ever noticed this.

And yes i have tightened down every screw on the cabinet. You can only crank on those screws so much before you start stripping them. I think something like 8 screws per bass driver, and 6 per midrange would also be good as it would be more secure. would it not?