A few posts back, someone was somewhat lamenting the fact that sharing music downloads with everyone on the internet was not only illegal, but getting risky.
There have been a few of these posts before, and I thought then,the same as now....stealing is stealing.

But........BrenR brought up an interesting point.

What about CD music that is, or has always been out of print, or extremely hard to find?

I still hold the same view on this too, but....I find it ironic that a music industry that's so worried about profits, and suposedly the artist's rights and royalties, has been madly deleting many artist's entire catalogs for decades.

Ever since they carted off the LP records, and replaced them with cds....cd titles of all, but the most "popular" releases, or "classic albums" have either been in print only a short time, a budget release, or in way too many cases, not available on cd at all.

Now, I know they are interested in "million sellers" only, and by now, some of the older bands and artists might only sell cds in the "hundreds"......but, this cd title shortage has been going on for decades, whole bins of albums deleted, in some cases...forever.

I would say, for an industry so worried about profits.........that's a lot of money "left on the table".

I suspect many of the artists, and bands would have liked to have had many more royalty checks over the years, too.
I think they are the one's who have suffered the most, with many of their catalogs either totally deleted, or only a "best of" cd available.
To top it off, the record companies apparently "sit" on the rights to most of the out of print music...so the artists (nor anyone else) can release the music.

In fact, if the record companies didn't discover they could make money with re-mastered cds........there would be an even bigger void.

Anyway, I thought that it was interesting to look at this subject a little deeper.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)