Very interesting topic.

How can the artist expect you to pay royalties if the product is not available.

In Canada the copywrite law allows us to make copies for media for our own personal usage. It doesn't matter what the media is (cassette tape, CD, DVD, MP3, 8 trak, etc). The last time I checked it was not illegal to download from P2P in Canada, however it is Illegal to upload. There is no restriction on what the media type is that you download from (tape, CD, MP3, LP, etc).

The question is how many times should the artist expect to get payed for their work? I own many record albums wich I have purchased over the years. However records are not practical to my lifestyle today. I can't play them in the car, or at work, or when I am jogging. So I buy a protable CD player and replace my albums with CD's. I now pay the full price again (in many cases more). So the artist and record company now have twice the profit for the same material. I have paid double for the same material just because I needed it on a different medium. At this point I should just be charged for the new media format, the artis should get no additional money(s) as I have alreday payed them the 1st time I bought the album. How many of us out there ahave spent 100's if not 1000s of dallars replacing exisiting records and tapes with CD's or VHS (and Beta) tapes with DVD's. It's about to happen again with BlueRAY or DHDVD! You can bet the whole industry loves new formats. Software companies like Microsoft make their money by selling upgrades. However usually they don't charge full price for the upgrade. But the record companies do! And thats not right!!!

So is it illegal for me to borrow a CD and rip it? What if I bought a used CD. What if I buy a used CD and rip it, then sell it the next person does the same, and so on and so on. Is that illegal. The record companies and artists don't make any money then. Do they view this as losed profits?

paul

Axiom M80, VP180, Qs8, EP500
Epson 3020
Rotel RB-880
Denon AVR-990