Quote:

I spoke to Cathy on Monday and she said the LMC-1 software issues have been resolved with all current stock. If you confirm this with Dan or Lonnie for a possible repurchase, Peter, please let us know if all the issues you've experienced with the past unit Have been addressed and fixed!!

Really? I may have to call them today. Not that I don't believe you that Cathy said that, but I'm a bit suspicious about that statement. Here's why I say that.

If you go back to last summer/fall and read the threads over on AV123, you'll quickly learn that the 'Generation I' LMC-1 just couldn't do certain things. Just wouldn't apply DPLII processing to DD2.0 streams, and wouldn't let you apply DTS:ES to non DTS digital sources, to name a couple of 'biggies'. They then claimed (and later recanted) that this was legally correct, and that all of the other prepro/AVR manufacturers were wrong. People complained. A lot. Sometime around Februrary/March of this year, Emotiva released a 'Generation II' LMC-1 that added the ability to decode DD2.0 streams into DPLIIx and allowed DTS:ES to be applied to analog sources (still can't apply DTS:ES: to DD2.0). Part of that process involved 'patching everything in stock'. This is why you will run into some threads bashing Emotiva for selling 'used' stuff; people got their LMC-1's with fingerprints on it, thinking it was used. Emotiva says that it's from the patching, and I tend to believe them.

They were also supposed to release a serial-dongle that would use the Zone2 port for folks to upgrade their LMC-1's in the field, but never did. Dan himself said that would be ready by April 15-18, but hasn't said a word since. I'm 100% positive that Emotiva will upgrade any LMC-1 to the latest firmware, but it requires it to be sent back to Nashville, TN. Anyway, in the process of the new firmware, they broke the 3-band crossover on DPLII processing (it applies a global crossover) and also may have introduced a few other bugs. See AV123 threads for details.

The point is, I had a 'Gen II' LMC-1, and there are *still* several bugs (see my review). If they have a 'Gen III' LMC-1 out now, that would be someting significant.

Now I've traded emails with Lonnie in the past 2-3 weeks and he said that they are undergoing a complete software review of the LMC-1's code. Up until now, they have just patched it. They're going through its software line-by-line to identify bugs and to see what they can do about the lingering complaints. Truth or not, that's what he emailed me. No promise of if the things can be fixed, or when, but at least it's something.

I cannot believe that they have actually fixed *all* of the lingering issues in such a short time span. Also, there's nothing over on AV123 about the firmware being fixed, and Lonnie & Dan normally post such news over there.

I wouldn't hold your breath that you'll get a bug free LMC-1.

I still might order one, as I'm almost convinced that with just a little bit of work I can write a couple of macros for my universal remote to work around the most significant bugs...

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 05/08/07 01:12 PM.