I’m having yet another receiver issue. As Tom has told me, “Are you sure it isn’t YOU?”…… So ya Tom, I’m beginning to think you’re on to something with that.

The SR8001 is shutting itself down for no reason at random. After several weeks of various tests, trouble shooting and blaming my speakers, Marantz agrees that this is a receiver problem and wants me to send it to Spokane for service. I pay for shipping of course….only around $100 one way.

So that means no HT time for at least four weeks. I’m feeling dejavu here. This is the third time in teh past year that I've had to do this (send a reciever out for repair).

Considering my luck with these damn receivers, I think I need a back up. I’m looking for something inexpensive (under $500) that will process HDMI audio and will carry a four ohm load at moderate volume. I’ll just have to rein it in for a few weeks while I wait for the SR to make its way back home.

I was all fired up and ready to buy a new Denon 4806CI and sell this thing, but with my luck, the Denon will eventually give me troubles and I’ll be in the same boat I'm in now. I think the “back up” plan is the best plan for me.

My kid needs a new surround receiver for his set up so this wont be a total loss ..I suppose.

OK John, what are those budget receivers you like to recommend again?? I'd like to get something in the mail to me today so I can get this stinkin Marantz on its way.