Hi folks,
I'm going to have to swap back and forth to see for myself if I can even hear a difference but I haven't asked a question in a while so I seem strangely compelled to get one in.

In my living room setup, 80% of the time, I am using a Squeezebox to play .flac files from my PC. I'm using my older JVC receiver to drive M60s and an old beater sub left over from my HT room upgrades. I have an older Toshiba DVD player that I'm using for CDs I haven't ripped to flac yet.

I currently have the DVD Player hooked up via the single optical, just cause thats the way it was before I got the Squeezebox. The SqB is hooked up via analogue.

Considering I use the SqB way more than the player, does it make sense to change it to be the optical connection? Sounds like a no brainer at first but does it actually mean I'd just be using the receivers DAC instead of the SqB's DAC. I don't want to start another DAC thread but I hear the SqB actually has a pretty good DAC so would I actually gain anything? Is there anything to gain by keeping the conversion closer to the speakers or would the receivers amplification of the already analog signals be 'passive' for lack of a proper term.

Funniest thing is that I even have such questions in my head now. I'd be concerned about the effect this forum has on my mental health except that it's too fun to be bad for you.

Last edited by Murph; 05/22/07 05:53 PM.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.