Thanks repliers...

Also, I believe I found a technical explanation to one of my questions. Specifically, if I use the SqB DAC, is the receiver 'passive' in it's passing of the adio signal. The answer is, most often not and a change in audio can occur. Below is cut and pasted from the Squeezebox FAQ

----
Since you have this choice with a Squeezebox, you would think that using analog, you're using the Squeezebox DAC, and using digital, you're using the receiver's DAC. This is not usually the case.

The heart of an A/V receiver is the DSP, digital signal processor. It is used for tone control, speaker level balance, bass management and DSP effects like "Jazz", "Hall", even "Stereo" and decoders like Dolby Pro-Logic II and DTS:Neo 6. It can only work with digital streams, so any analog streams must be converted to digital using the receiver's ADC, analog-to-digital converter. After the DSP, the signal is then sent to the DAC like any other digital signal.

This extra conversion step will alter the sound. It can make it warmer (reduce treble) but may make it so warm as to be muffled in comparison to a digital signal which is sent directly to the DSP.

However, since many receivers are too bright (have too much treble) anyway, this effect may be more pleasing to you, so it's best to experiment and see what you like best.

Most receivers have a "direct" or "bypass" mode which is supposed to send the signal on to the amplifiers unaltered. However you will lose things you may want like bass management, speaker balance and of course any surround processing.
-----------

Still requires a listening test in the end but I thought I would share what I found.

Andrew

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.