Quote:

My tv is in Madison, WI and I live in Des Moines, IA. American TV's repair department is in their main headquarters in WI.

So first I would have to find the correct part, then drive about 6-7 hours. It may be time to look at LCD's and Plasmas.

[steps up on soap box]

Take this with a grain of salt since it’s just my personal experience but if the warranty has run out don’t waste your time or money with the “Crazy TV Lenny” gang (is he still their pitchman?)

The picture tube on my wife’s TV went out after the warranty but I dropped it off at their Beltline store anyway as it was right around the corner from where we lived. They told me it needed a new picture tube. The cost was almost as much as a brand new TV so I just went to pick it up.

They gave me the run-a-round at first saying that they couldn’t find it but would be happy to apply my service charge toward another TV instead. They found the TV after I threatened to call the Town of Madison PD.

Just for the hell of it a friend and I pulled off the back finding a loose wire which we soldered back in place. TV worked like a charm again.

Not saying yours is just a simple problem but in my personal experience their people are not to be trusted. They make more money selling you a new TV than fixing an old one.

Ask a repair shop in Des Moines what they would charge to try and find the part and install it for you. It may or may not turn out to be cost effective but at least you will know the repair shop has a greater incentive to fix your TV than convince you to buy a new one.

My 2 cents,

Dean

[/gets down of soap box]

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1