Hey all- My folks are in their 70's and have become the stereotypical elderly tv veiwers- with the windows open you can hear the tv accross the street. They can hear ok, but have trouble understanding dialog. My dad will bitch about the music bed often put under narration on pbs. Often they'll have it so loud it's distorting-no wonder they can't understand the dialog. They've got a stereo zenith console from 2000 or so.
I'm thinking of donating my vp150 to the cause and getting a pair of m3's or 22's to go with it. Hopefully we can dial down the non-dialog a bit and clear things up with a big honkin vp150. If they don't go for it I've got a new pair of axioms and if they do, I'll buy myself a new 150.
My sister has offered her recently replaced '01 vintage sony htib avr. I rarely watch broadcast tv on my system so my question is- what surround format, avr brand, whatever else is the best at extracting dialog from 2ch network broadcasts?
Another thing- they're not big on the mute button, so when the commercials come on all jacked up over the level of the program, it gets seriously loud . I read that the "night" mode on some recievers could combat this- anyone have experience with that?
The tv has variable level output jacks- not quite sure if thats good or bad. I got them an mx500 a while back and I'll have to make this reciever invisable in that respect.
Anyone have thoughts? Seems like Mark s Johnson of sucking room fame went through something like this awhile back.