Thanks Alan, I’ll have to look at that one. I found the sight where I saw that review I mentioned earlier, but now it’s not posted. It was at Cene4home.com, but it was in German and now their sight is international, so I don’t know what happened to the RS1 – Pany 1000 shootout. Here’s some discussion about that at AVS though (where I first found this information).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=849695&page=1&pp=60

I’ve had the 1000U for about three months now. It’s got just over 200 hours on the bulb. At fist I was wondering why I bought it because I wasn’t dazzled with it after having the Pany 900 and was expecting some miraculous improvement going from 720P to 1080P. But then I got to playing with the different modes and took my time calibrating it the best I could with the Avia disk and have grown to love the thing. Right out of the box I could tell a difference in picture quality, but it wasn’t related to resolution. Panasonic’s smooth screen pretty much eliminates screen door, so noticing a resolution difference between the 900 and 1000 is pretty tough. It’s there, but you have to be about 12” away to see the difference. Where I see the biggest difference (to the better with the 1000) is color, contrast and sharpness. The 1000 is a big step in improved contrast. Dark scenes with shadows are so much better it’s almost silly. With the 900 I missed a lot of detail because everything looked dark. With the 1000, I see details in the dark parts of the image that I didn’t before. It’s very hard to describe this difference, but once you see it, everything “PoPs” out at you. The 1000 is brighter than the 900 as well, so don’t believe the na-sayers that say this is a “dim” projector (and yes I know the bulb is newer than the one in the 900, but not much) 500 hours verses 200 hours). I don’t know what these light canon worshipers are thinking when they start shooting of Lumen numbers and square foot Lambert BS. Hell, one “expert” told me I needed 18 lumens per square foot of screen. Crap, at that rate I’d need to watch movies with sunglasses on. There are times when the 1000 is too dam bright as is, and I have to shut my eyes for them to re-adjust when the scene goes from dark to light.

So to end this ramble, folks need to pay close attention to REAL contrast. It a much more significant difference than resolution. I think this is a fairly good argument for going with Plasma over LCD. LCD has the edge over Plasma in regards to resolution, but Plasma tends to have better color and contrast.