This hotly debated. Maybe not so hotly debated here, but it is throughout the rest of the AV world. Some folks will tell you that there should be absolutely no sound difference, so long as each amplifier (seperate vs. internal 3803) is running within its specifications. Others will tell you that different amps can make a difference in the sound quality; the idea that (different parts) + (different construction) + (human pride on expensive equipment) = different sound.

I would say to listen to neither camp and make your own decision based on your own thoughts and experiences. Purchase an amp that fits your budget and needs from somewhere that has a full money-back guarantee and try it for yourself in your home on your system.

All I really know in the debate is that my LPA-1 drives my M80's significantly better than my AVR does. Again, this may be into the realm of physical specifications, as my AVR is only rated down to 6ohm speakers. I've done back-to-back testing where the differences are quite real. Sibilance, bass impact & longevity, and perceived distortion do sound different to me between AVR and LPA, with the LPA offering smoother highs and cleaner, less 'fuzzy' bass. But again, just my opinion.

Quote:

So you guys can tell me that If I got an MPS and ran the Left/Right mains and the centre channel off it and I ran the rears from the Denon I will not notice and improvement?

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 06/07/07 01:15 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office