Quote:

Outside the amazing dynamics and balance his HT audio is capable of, my "candid" and honest observations are a little on the cautious side (due to some perceived colorations). Overall audio presentation was very analytical with details and clarity throughout the midrange and extended highs...but, almost too dry for my taste and at times, appearing overly bright! ...and very unforgiving of source - they do what they are told. I think this is the "break-in" period people talk about. It took a while for me to get used to how detailed the system sounds. I previewed a set of Klipsch (RF-63 HT setup) and those horns were quite a bit brighter than the M80's

Although someone hears a different set of speakers for the first time, one cannot always attribute a sonic difference to mental perception of break-in. I am far past that point and i still believe my Axioms are 'bright' to the poitn where i use a resistor on the tweeter sections.

In comparison to other very good speakers (Monitor Audio, Tannoy, B&W, Paradigm, PSB...) you may find that same level of sonic detail but without a perceived brightness. I've come across a few speakers now in A/B tests that have been as equally detailed in the upper midrange and tweeter range sounds but without a shrill at certain (and undetermined) frequencies that my Axioms produce to my ears now and again. Certainly it may be due to the recording but WHY do I wince with Axioms but not with another good quality speaker? Does less shrill equal less detail or a better listening experience?
Whether this is a resonance or a slight SPL peak at a frequency range, i do believe that Axioms have this brightness quality. Many have mentioned it and many have listened to other, good quality speakers in comparison.
Some explain it as the linearity of Axioms but i disagree. Even Axioms are not ruler flat in their frequency response and many other good speaker makers (take a look at the graphs on some Thiels or Paradigms or the Energy Connoiseur line surprisingly) are just as 'flat' but do not have that bright quality, at least not from what my ears have heard.

The resistors have dumbed down this sound and for me they now produce a more tolerable sonic quality in this regard. Aside from that, i've loved everything else about my Axioms most especially the tight midrange and bass. The accuracy in those areas is simply fantastic.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."