Quote:

for instance, the M3 shows ~74dB output at 40hz (compared to 84-88dB for frequencies higher than 100hz). can i still hear the 40hz or does this much of a drop pretty much make it impossible to hear?

Well, that depends. The M3's 74dBC output at 40Hz is measured from 3 feet away with a 1 watt input. At half a watt you'll get 71dB and at a quarter watt you'll get 68dB...at 3 feet! If you are sitting 8 feet away and you are listening to two of them, you may get ~65dB. To know whether this is adequate, you need to know what your ambient SPL is in your room and also how well you hear. If you are younger and have not abused your ears, you should easily be able to hear 40dB at 65dBC.

You should strive to have your music at least 10dB higher than ambient. If you are in an apartment located on the street, you may have an ambient noise level of 70dB so 65dB is no good. My basement which is well isolated still has an ambient noise level of 55 to 60dB (because of the compressor noise from my noisy fridge in the kitchen right up the stairs).

I hope this helps.